Sunday, June 9, 2013

E3 2013 Predictions - Nintendo

I've recently have seen a lot of guys doing some E3 predictions so I'd figure that I would go ahead and do my own as well.  E3 2013 has a lot on the line for "the big 3".  


Nintendo while still living in a pile of money is currently having issues with low sales of the Wii U.  Sony is also in financial turmoil with a similar situation as Nintendo.  The PlayStation Vita has been on life support for over a year now.  But the PlayStation 4 is currently gaining steam due to the recent blunder that was the Xbox One reveal event.  And speaking of that, Microsoft has a lot of convincing to do to make sure that the Xbox One will not be ignored by gamers.  While I'm sure the mainstream gamer (CoD lovers, sports lovers, TV lovers, etc.) is pleased, myself and actual gamers are not a big fan of the "always online" thing that they want to do.  It is worth noting that Microsoft is promising many exclusives to the XBO so it may still be worth buying... in a few years.

So yeah, we ALL know that a lot questions need to be answered on the end of "the big 3".  I'm mostly concerned about Nintendo so I'll only be focusing on them.  I will watch all 3, but I really only have the time to write about one company, so Nintendo it is. 

---
With the exception of the 3DS doing well now, negativity about the Wii U seems to be one of the hottest topics on a lot of gaming sites. It has become rather obvious that most of the media and game devs like to be cynical and jump to conclusions.  Michael Patcher seems to love talking about the Wii U and Nintendo's failure.  Oh, and EA.  The Nintendo Direct during E3 will be either Nintendo's doom to the Wii U or the beginning of the success of it.  To get back to my original topic, I'll be shooting out some predictions on what Nintendo may announce.

NOTE: I want to make a point that I'll mainly be talking about the Wii U.  I feel the 3DS is already a well-established console and that only brief mentions of the console (3DS) will be mentioned this year.  I know they will mention Pokémon X/Y along with probably the USA version of Shin Megami Tensei IV.  I can also see them talking about other 3DS Nintendo based games such as Mario & Luigi, Mario Golf, etc.  I'm really drawing a blank when it comes to the 3DS and new games.  =(

1. Wii U price drop.  The recent "recall" of the basic white 8 GB Wii U console is making this rather obvious.  I'm predicting that the basic model will become the premium model in terms of pricing ($299).  Another guess is that the current white console when recalled will have the 32 GB flash memory added and then the premium console will be available in white as well.  A doubtful guess is that another model with more memory (64 GB, 128 GB) may take the place of the current premium console but I highly doubt it as of this point.  That will likely happen in a year or two though.

2. Nintendo 3DS remodel - Okay, this is a huge guess.  But the original 3DS model already has a few design flaws with it.  The main two being the exclusion of the second analog stick (which would later be added in with Circle Pad Pro accessory -- BUT is only usable for a few games) and a slightly new design.  The original 3DS design while good, has the issues of making two marks on the sides of the top screen thanks to it laying on the bottom touch screen.  I would actually re-buy my 3DS if a model like this is announced.  Yes, the 3DS XL is good.  But is still big.  I want a portable console, not a tank.


3. Smash Bros reveal & more.  This is technically confirmed but the rest of this is a guess.  I predict that Nintendo will show a trailer for the Wii U version of Smash Bros.  I have a gut feeling that the 3DS version will be different from the console version, but will have benefits if both of them are linked together.  If a potential release date is announced, I predict the 3DS version will hit first as a sort of appetizer for the upcoming Wii U version.  Then a year or more later, the Wii U version will finally hit obviously with it being the superior (or a completely different) game. 

4. Mario & Zelda Wii U reveals.  

The Legend of Zelda Tech Demo for Wii U -- not the upcoming Zelda game... maybe.

Again, technically they have been confirmed for a reveal as well but I predict the following: The upcoming Wii U Mario game will likely be something very different as most console Mario games typically do something new.  I have a feeling the game will have more of a cooperative feature due to the Wii U's gamepad.  Galaxy 2 let another player help the main player, I feel that this idea will allow Luigi or a new character to play cooperatively with Mario in the game.  Obviously, the game will be a full on 3D Mario game.  Nothing like New Super Mario Bros. U.  I see this game coming out likely around November of this year to hit in time for the holidays.

Zelda on the other hand will likely only get a trailer.  It's been said that this one will again, have many new gameplay elements that have never been used in past Zelda games.  My guess is that Nintendo will show an action-packed trailer with Link duking it out with Ganon or another new villain along with showing of the game's new HD graphics.  Honestly, I feel that most gamers will be sold on the Wii U alone thanks to a trailer of this.  I predict it being released sometime in 2014. 

5. Mario Kart, and other various Nintendo based games & IPs.
I predict a new Mario Kart game will be announced for Wii U (no brainer at this point).  They might only make a brief mention of it, but I don't see having any game play or a trailer at this point.  I feel Iwata or whoever announces it will tell us to "stay tuned" for a future Nintendo Direct.


Other Nintendo IPs such as a Mario sports game (Soccer, baseball, basketball, etc.) will likely be announced as well.  This sports game will likely hit this year.  I also can see an "oddball" title such an older Nintendo IP get an announcement, but again, asking us to stay turned for more info (nothing of the game will be shown).  Then Nintendo will likely announce a well-known Nintendo IP such as Metroid, Donkey Kong, or Starfox will be getting a new game on Wii U along with a trailer.  Again, another "stay tuned" will likely be slapped onto this title too.

6. More progress concerning currently announced Wii U exclusives will likely be revealed, I'm guessing they will all be compiled into one big trailer for games hitting in 2013 or the beginning of 2014.  Games such as Sonic Lost World and Wind Waker HD will likely get individual mentions either before or after the viewing of this said trailer as they are big releases that will likely hit this year.  


The games in this trailer will likely be as follows: Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, "X" (mech game), Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Yarn Yoshi, Yakuza 1 & 2 HD, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World, etc.

6. As always, Nintendo will claim that 3rd party developers are their BFFs.
We know how Nintendo struggles to get developers on their home consoles.  This is something I don't need to discuss. But a few publishers seem to be still supporting Nintendo such as Ubisoft, Activision, Sega, and uh... OTHER developers.  I predict Nintendo will talk about how "unique" their versions of Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed IV will be compared to other versions of these games.  A brief video might show a guy at Ubisoft praising the Wii U versions but I doubt it.  Call of Duty Ghosts will likely be announced for the Wii U as well (as I don't think it has formally announced at this point). 


A trailer with known upcoming 3rd party titles (non-exclusive) will likely play after this. 

7. An unexpected 3rd party game or exclusive will announced for Wii U & 3DS.  This is always an easy one to guess on as it almost ALWAYS happens.  A lot of developers have openly said that aren't developing their current games on the Wii U (that are on PS3/360).  But what if Nintendo gave them a call and offered them $$$ & a publishing arrangement?  I can see a developer being easily convinced with that. 

For Wii U, I think Grand Theft Auto V would be huge.  I consider Rockstar to be a good developer who are open to other consoles.  Nintendo managed to get them to make the once exclusive GTA: Chinatown Wars on DS, so I still consider a Wii U version of GTA V as a potential "shocker" announcement.


As for the 3DS...  it’s hard to honestly think what the 3DS could get next.  Most of the currently big IPs are on the console now (except for the obvious "hardcore" games).  I can't even make a guess for this one.  =S 

8. Ending the E3 Nintendo Direct with Reggie but he's awesome -- If Nintendo doesn't end the Nintendo Direct with a random announcement with Reggie at the end, I will be very sad.  AND if he says "my body is ready" in any sort of way, it will just be epic even if he announces something completely random.

How can you not stare at this?

And that's it!  I really have nothing else to say.  We'll see on how many of these will be right (or partially right) on Tuesday.  See you at E3 (via the interwebs of course)!

No comments:

Post a Comment